He started his career in Washington county, Md. and taught there for five years. He took a collegiate course of Franklin and Marshall college, at Lancaster, Pa., and then taught for 11 years in the public schools at McGaheysvIlle, Va. While there he made the school a graded and high school. He spent three years as principal of the New Market schools and for nine years was principal of Shepherdstown State Normal college at Shepherdstown, W. Va.
Next he was made superintendent of schools of Ceredo and Kenova, W. Va. His next move was to Charles Town, W. Va., where he taught in the high school, going from there to Little Washington, Va., where he taught in the schools for three years.
Mr. Kimler came to Waynesboro in 1909 and was principal of the Waynesboro schools until 1922. He began his work in Waynesboro in the building used as the primary building and with a corps of only seven teachers. His aim was for Waynesboro to have a well-equipped and up-to-date high school, and he worked day and night toward this end.
In 1912, through his energies, the middle building, known as the Jackson Grammar school, was built, and was used as the high school. New teachers were added from time to time, and soon, with the steady increase; of students, it was found necessary to have a third building, built in 1922, known as the Woodrow Wilson High School.
Thus his aim was accomplished, his career as a teacher and educator replete with successes and honors. No teacher has ever more fully commanded or deserved to command the confidence and respect of the city and community than has Prof. A. C. Kimler. His character is of the sterling type, which alone fits him to be the exemplar of the young, while as a citizen he is liberal, progressive and public-spirited.
Such a man always has a message, and the writer recalls the following messages given to the young men students of Waynesboro schools: “Select a congenial occupation. Do all that you can for the benefit of employer or patron, without regard to pay. Never compromise your integrity, sense of right, or duty, for any prospect of gain or profit. In other words, play the part of a man.”
Mr. Kimler is held in high esteem by all who know him and is loved by all his students. In the hall of Woodrow Wilson High school will be found hanging a portrait of Professor Kimler. The freshman class also named its literary society and the students are publishing a school paper known as “The Kimler-lite.”
Resigning the principalship in the year 1922, Professor Kimler has since that time taught Latin and higher mathematics.
After his teaching career he served his community as justice.
Mr. Kimler was born on May 21st, 1854, probably in Smithsburg, Maryland to Joseph Kimler (Kemmler) and his wife Catherine Hartmann. He had 2 brothers and three sisters. The sisters and one brother were teachers as well.
Mr. Kimler married Miss Mary Virginia Rice of New Market, who was a member of the Rice family of that place on June 1st, 1885 in McGaheysville, VA. Her father will be remembered as one of the promoters of the Valley pike. She preceded him in death in Mar 1922 after a long illness.
Prof. A. C. Kimler and Mary Virginia Rice had one son, Joseph Richard (1885 – 1958).
Mr. Kimler’s father, Joseph and his parents, Jacob Frederick Kemmler and Catharina Reinhardt Kemmler (A. C. Kimler’s grandparents) emigrated to the United States in 1832 from Gomaringen, Germany and settled in Smithsburg, Md. They started a very successful pottery business and became famous for their pottery.
Prof. Kimler died on Feb 26, 1940 in Waynesboro, VA and was buried in the Riverview Cemetery in Waynesboro, VA.
Most of the information was taken from an article in the The Daily News Leader, Staunton, Virginia, 21.1.1928 titled “Waynesboro’s BeIoved Educator”
For our planned documentary we are looking for better pictures of Professor Abraham C. Kimler. Any help would be highly appreciated! Please contact us, if you can provide pictures or additional information.